I fell in love with Australia and it’s national Anzac biscuits when visiting!…. so here is a take on their beautiful biscuit.
2-3 tbls golden syrup
2 tbsp chopped glace ginger and 1 tbsp of its syrup
1 cup / 90g rolled oats
11/4 cups / 220g dark brown soft sugar
1 cup / 85g desiccated coconut
1 cup / 155g plain flour
11/2 tspn baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Grease tin lightly or line
- Melt butter, syrup, glace ginger and it’s syrup in a pan – the third tbsp. of syrup will make it chewier)
- Sift the flour and baking powder I and add the brown sugar, oats and coconut.
- Add wet mixture from pan to the dry mixture in the bowl.
- Press firmly into the tin with the back of a wooden spoon or Nick Nairn’s wonderful gadjet.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes and the top should be pale golden.
- Mark with a knife when warm and when cool cut in slices.