A delicious, rich tiffin-esque refrigerator cake, with oats and crystallised ginger for crunch, instead of the usual biscuits.
It’s a Nigel Slater recipe that’s a perfect use of our organic porridge oats! The cranberries and cherries give it slightly sour notes to balance the chocolate and sweet ginger. Great with a coffee for an afternoon or after dinner sweet treat. For the original recipe, see https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/ginger_chocolate_oat_bar_55755
150g Eden Valley Organic Porridge oats
150g organic jumbo oats
450g dark chocolate
200ml double cream
150g dried cranberries
75g dried cherries
150g crystallised ginger pieces
1. Melt chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, without stirring. This will take 15-20 minutes.
2. In the meantime, melt the butter in a pan. Once melted, add all the oats and cook for three minutes then take off the heat.
3. Add the cranberries, cherries and ginger to the oats and stir.
4. When the chocolate has melted, stir gently to mix with the cream.
5. Tip into the oat mixture, stir well, then tip into a 20x25cm traybake tin.
6. Chill in the fridge for about an hour.
7. When it’s hardened and you’re ready to eat, chop into 20 rough pieces and serve.